Wellness workshops will be held next month to support rural women affected by drought.
The free workshops at Coonalpyn and Meningie aim to increase the capacity of women to manage pressures at home and in their communities, and empower them to make positive change.
The workshops are part of a drought assistance program, currently being rolled out in regional South Australia by Centacare Catholic Family Services.
“Drought does not discriminate between men and women,” Drought Assistance Counsellor Sharon Young said.
“Women in rural communities take on critical roles spanning family, business and the community.
“In challenging times, they are often under increased pressure to earn income, as well as to monitor the health of their partners and family, sometimes at the expense of their own wellbeing.”
Women will learn relaxation techniques and simple ways to nurture happiness amidst their daily routines.
Funded by the Australian Government’s Drought Assistance Program, the Women’s Wellbeing Workshop will run at:
- Coonalpyn – Tuesday, March 1, 9.30am-midday at The Community Hub, 2 Richards Tce.
- Meningie – Friday, March 11, 9.30am-12.30pm, Community Health Centre, 2 South Tce.
Other drought support on offer includes: counselling for families, individuals and couples; home visits and outreach services; parenting advice, education and skill development; linking and referrals to other services, in particular programs provided by the Government to support farming families and farm businesses in hardship.
In addition, Sharon is available for counselling appointments at the following locations each week:
- Meningie – Monday, 1.30pm-4.30pm – Coorong District Council, 49 Princes Highway, Meningie.
- Tailem Bend – Tuesday, 1pm-4pm – Tailem Bend Community Centre, 141 Railway Terrace, Tailem Bend.
- Tintinara – Thursday, 12pm-3pm – Coorong District Council, 37 Becker Terrace, Tintinara.
Morning tea will be provided at the Women’s Wellbeing Workshop. For more information, please phone Kristy at The Community Hub on 8571 1018 or Sharon at Centacare’s Murray Bridge office on 08 8215 6320.